Bee Fleet: Non-Spinnaker B (Bee Fleet) met and organized in March, 2017. Bee Fleet members are indicated on the starting times sheet as "NS-B." The fleet is made up of cruisers and captains who are eager to enjoy racing under a modified format that will include relaxing of RRS 41 so that we can provide race time coaching if needed. Their races will start a little later than our other fleets and will be set up on a smaller course. If you are interested in racing but have not brought your boat to the line for various reasons, this relaxed format may be just what you have been waiting for. If you missed our organizational meeting but want to join the Bee Fleet, contact Sara Shamblin, fleet captain or Fred Bartrom, race director so we can get you added.
The Bee Fleet is also a good place for skippers who are not a PPYC member to try out the club and club racing. Encourage your boat neighbor to give it a try. All we ask is that you bring a signed Waiver/Release/Emergency Contact form for you and your crew.
Scoring Sheet and Novice Points
At the conclusion of the race, find the scoring sheet on the dock or deck. Record your boat, the boat that finished before you and the boat that finished after you. If you or your crew are a race novice add that to the score sheet. A novice is defined as a race participant that has been involved in 6 or fewer club races or regattas. You are allowed to count up to 2 novices on any given race.
Novice points are designed to encourage opportunities for prospective sailors to enjoy club racing. So, each novice counted will subtract 1 from your race score. 1 is your lowest possible score. (For example, if you finish 4th and have two novices on board you will receive a score of 2. If you finish 2nd and have two novices on board, you receive a score of 1 because that is the lowest possible score.)
Shortened Course for Low Wind
The following method will be used to shorten the course for low wind days.
· The call to shorten course will be made by consensus of 3 or more racing skippers or by the Race Director.
· The decision to shorten course shall be made no later than 5:45 pm under the following conditions:
o If sustained winds are 3mph or less at the Nashville Airport weather station. Or wind conditions are visibly light on the lake. http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBNA.html
o And the wind forecast is not predicted to improve.
· The S Flag shall be displayed as soon as possible after the decision to shorten course. It shall be accompanied by two sounds of horn or whistle.
· The shorten course starting times on pages 3 and 4 of the starting times sheet shall be used.
· The shortened course is illustrated here.
· Racing for the day will be abandoned if no boat rounds the first mark by 7 pm. (This rule applies for the regular course as well.)
Bee Fleet Note: Your course will be the same, but your start times are 15 minutes earlier to accommodate the lighter wind conditions. See your start times on page 3.